Saturday, October 6, 2012

Dance as a social imperative

For me, dance is not only a form of exercise, a form of artistic expression, or a form of connection to music.
It’s a social imperative.
When I dance, I reconnect with my body, I exert parts of my body this patriarchal world has not even heard of, I reclaim my very subjecthood. I can break out of the objecthood that social history and the media have forced upon my existence, upon my relationship to myself and to others. When I dance, I can influence the way others see me. I do, and I am not done to, I create, and I am not created, I see crystal clearly, and I am not seen. I dance upon the borders of passivity and crash it to dust, opening a door towards activity that you have no power to keep me out of. When I dance, I can cut the social prescriptions of meat market clinging to my self-representation, and my strength to control surpasses my helplessness to refuse to be controlled.
A dancing female body is everything but a sexual object.
When I dance, I laugh at the self-righteous face of patriarchy.
A dancing female body pulsates with activity and power, fizzing and sparkling to the bone. A Siamese twin pair, a schizophrenic alliance of painter and canvas, composer and instrument, author and pen; kinetic, musical, visual stimuli, creator embodied, a witch of rhythm who has escaped the stake.
When I dance, I am free.  

No comments:

Post a Comment